What is the purpose of government? This is the fundamental question you will examine when studying this ground-breaking short course. You will think critically, drawing out the key values that should be considered in this question.
We seek to arm you with the knowledge and skills to understand the key moral and ethical value concepts that should inform public policy. You will engage with new processes and learn to apply political philosophy to the practice of policymaking, studying alongside like-minded thinkers in this field of political social sciences.
Values and Public Policy is certified by CPD UK’s (Continuing Professional Development) Certification Service.
Find out how the skills developed on this course can be combined with others for maximum impact. Discover more about our government and public policy multi-course pathway, including our multi-course discounts.
The online course is designed for you if you need to interact with, understand and interpret policy as part of your job.
You should consider this course if:
- you are a mid-career professional working in an NGO, agency, public or private sector, are a journalist or a civil servant who wants to move into a specialised or management career and must learn to operate more effectively at a strategic level;
- you are a concerned citizen looking to better understand the complex public policy-making process which directly affects you and your community;
- you are an experienced professional in the Civil Service and are ready to move to a Senior Executive Officer (SEO) position or Higher Executive Officer role (HEO);
- you are highly experienced in strategy and need a programme which will provide you with the tools to help you remain effective and current in your position;
- you are highly experienced in strategy and need a programme that will provide the tools to help you remain effective and current in your position.
- There are no entry requirements for this short course, though it is expected that you will have had some exposure to politics/political theory and philosophy before joining. It is also expected that you have career experience working with policy, in any industry.
In addition, please be aware that this is a master’s level course, so will take a certain level of commitment. Learners are expected to dedicate 3-5 hours a week to their studies, with all activities and tasks taking place online.
There are no specific entry requirements. However, please be aware this course will take a certain level of commitment. Learners are expected to dedicate 3–5 hours a week to their studies, with all activities and tasks taking place online.
Upon completion, you will receive a certificate to support your career progression. This programme is also certified by CPD UK. Learners will be able to request their CPD certificate after successfully finishing the course, using their certificate of completion as proof of eligibility. The course has an estimated 40 hours of learning, equating to 40 CPD points.
Note, the onus is on students to request these CPD certificates at the end of their studies. The University and its partners accept no responsibility, and cannot be held responsible, for the claiming or validation of hours or points.